- Tech Only CPT 88112, 88305
- Tech Pro CPT 88112 (2), 88305 (2)
- PowerPath Code NGBF
- Schedule Monday - Friday
- Turn Around Time Within 3 business days of receipt
- Disease State Benign Conditions, Malignant Conditions, Mesothelioma, Metastatic Cancers
- Methodology Liquid-Based Cell Enhanced Concentrated Cytology
Fresh or CytoLyt fixed specimen in sterile container. No minimum/maximum volume requirements, >10mL preferred. Small volume may limit interpretation.
Small Volumes (50mL or less)
1. Label specimen container with the patient’s full first and last name, date of birth and source/site.
2. Immediately fix the entire specimen with at least an equal volume of 50% ethanol or CytoLyt®
3. Tighten the cap and mix the contents thoroughly.
4. Indicate the type of preservative added on the requisition.
Large Volumes (greater than 50 mL)
1. Submit a minimum of 200 ml; however, 500 ml to 1000 ml is preferred.
2. Label specimen container with the patient’s full first and last name, date of birth and source/site.
Cellular morphology of cytologic specimens is interpreted to diagnose inflammatory, neoplastic and non-neoplastic conditions. In addition, cytologic diagnoses is used to monitor recurrent and metastatic malignant conditions.
Required Patient Info
2 patient identifiers
Storage and Transportation
When possible, store specimen at 2°C - 8°C, particularly for unfixed specimens. Specimen may be transported at 15°C - 30°C. Do not freeze.
Cause for Rejection
Improper or inadequate patient identification; frozen specimens.
Primary specimen container: 7 days from processing
Secondary ThinPrep vial: 14 days from processing
Slide: 10 years
If flow cytometry is indicated, fresh or RPMI fixed specimen is required.