- Tech Only CPT
- Tech Pro CPT 85097, 88305, 88311. 88313
- PowerPath Code
- Schedule Monday - Friday (Sat. by arrangement)
- Turn Around Time 1-2 days
- Disease State Leukemia, Lymphoma
- Methodology Tissue
It is recommended that specimens be received within 24 hours of collection
1. Bone marrow biopsy: Submit two (2) air-dried imprint smears from fresh biopsy core specimen. Submit one 1 cm core bone marrow in 10% neutral buffered formalin.
2. Bone marrow smears: Submit six (6) air-dried smears in slide holders. Ensure the slides are thoroughly dried before closing the slide holder to prevent specimen sticking to the slide holder.
3. Peripheral smears: Submit two (2) air-dried smears in slide holders. Ensure the slides are thoroughly dried before closing the slide holder to prevent destruction of the specimen.
4. Bone marrow clot: Collect the 1-5 mL bone marrow aspirate. Allow the specimen to clot for 4-5 minutes in the syringe. Submit the clotted 1-5 mL bone marrow aspirate in 10% neutral buffered formalin.
5. All slides and containers must be labeled with patient’s full first and last name, date of birth and source/site.
6. All specimens should be submitted on one requisition.
Storage and Transportation
Maintain at room temperature
Cause for Rejection
If insufficient cellular material is present, the technologist/pathologist may decide the material is insufficient for proper evaluation. · Unsatisfactory specimens include acellular specimens, severe obscuring inflammation or blood, extensive air-drying artifact, or extensive mechanical distortion. · Specimen containers without two (2) patient identifiers.
Fresh specimen – 2 weeksSlide(s) and paraffin block(s) – 10 years
Include pertinent clinical information, e.g. previous malignancy, drugs, radiation therapy, and other history. · The most recent CBC report should be submitted with the specimen.